Initially, air conditioners were expensive and were seen as a symbol of status and wealth. However, as technology advanced, many companies started making cheaper, commercially available air conditioners. Because of the heatwave in 2018, or global warming, air conditioners have now become a staple of modern life in Japan. Here are some of the most popular Japanese Air Conditioner brands.
Japan has been at the forefront of innovation in the industry and is credited with several inventions that have changed the way air conditioning works. As a result, Japan has dominated the Air Conditioning industry. Japanese brands hold a large portion of the market globally owing to cutting-edge technology and superior craftsmanship.
First on our list is Daikin Industries, Ltd. based in Osaka and was founded in 1924. They are the Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) technology inventors and innovators in the split system air conditioning market. It then comes as no surprise that they are the world’s leading brand when it comes to air conditioning. Ask anyone in Japan for an aircon brand recommendation, and Daikin will pop up more often than any other brand.
The company prides itself in providing the latest technology at affordable pricing. However, they still manage to remain eco-friendly. Daikin Air Conditioners come with features such as
- Coanda Airflow provides comfortable cooling by evenly distributing air in every corner of the room.
- Econo mode enables efficient operation by limiting the maximum power consumption.
- Self-diagnosis technology auto-detects the error and shows the related code on the remote screen.
- Eco-friendly R-32 Green Refrigerant.
Their R-32 Green Refrigerant has zero Ozone Depletion Potential (ODP) and a much lower Modified Global Warming Potential (GWP) than earlier refrigerants. As a result, they provide smart and efficient cooling with a lesser impact on the environment.
Daikin air conditioners are known for their exceptional durability and significantly longer life cycles than their competitors. For instance, the average service life cycle of their split system aircon units is over 100,000 hours of continuous operation, which is almost twice that of their rival brands. Daikin air conditioners also operate silently and ensure smell-proof operation, while also offering additional protection against fire accidents by using an outdoor power supply.
It is due to features like these, as well as their commitment to providing cost-effective and eco-friendly cooling solutions that Daikin air conditioners hold the topmost places in the global market.
Hitachi, Ltd. is a Japanese multinational conglomerate corporation with its headquarters in Chiyoda, Tokyo. It was founded in 1910 and is one of the most popular brands in the world when it comes to home air conditioning. They are one of the first Japanese manufacturers to use inverter technology with PAM-control converters.
Firstly, Hitachi air conditioners come with state-of-the-art technology like self-cleaning and their SetFree refrigerant air conditioning system with variable flow. Secondly, their products are known to focus on sustainability by reducing greenhouse gases and lower power consumption. As a result, customers all over the world trust this brand deeply.
Some unique features of Hitachi air conditioners are
- Expandable air inverter technology
- Filter clean indicator which tells you when your filters need cleaning
- Intelligent Penta Sensor with an advanced microcontroller that offers perfect cooling even in harsh summer temperatures
- SuperSlit fins of Hitachi air conditioners have multiple slits that provide more heat exchange areas and cools the room faster.
- Inner grooved copper tubes that ensure faster cooling with their turbulent refrigerant fӏow that enhances heat transfer rate.
- Specially designed advanced microcontroller checks the indoor and outdoor conditions, and varies compressor speed seamӏessӏy, thus offering uninterrupted cooӏing.
- Stabilizer free operation which gives complete protection from power fluctuations with even more savings.
Hitachi air conditioners also go through rigorous testing like wind and rain tests, sound tests, and refrigerant leakage tests. As a result, this ensures that the best quality is delivered. It is features like these that allow Hitachi to occupy one of the top spots in the air conditioner market all over the world.
Panasonic Corporation, formerly known as Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. is a major Japanese multinational electronics company. It is headquartered in Kadoma, Osaka, and was founded in 1918.
Panasonic air conditioners have a premium design that matches the modern Japanese home. Moreover, they provide healthy and smart cooling and have amazing durability. They can also withstand the toughest of weather conditions. Also notable is their special nanoe range of air purification which is among the best in the market.
These are some unique features you can find in Panasonic air conditioners:
- First, they come with a powerful mode for faster cooling.
- Secondly, their Nanoe air purification guarantees healthy, odor-free airflow.
- Above all, their Econavi sensors automatically adjust cooling depending on weather and other factors.
- Smart Controls let you operate your air conditioner with your smartphone or even with voice commands.
- Panasonic Air Conditioners are designed to operate under tough conditions with a stabilizer-free operation for voltage ranges between 100V-290V.
- Anti-Corrosive blue fin technology and 100% pure copper coils make Panasonic air conditioners highly resistant to corrosion.
- Panasonic ACs come with the R32 Refrigerant that protects the condenser from accidental fire while ensuring zero damage to the ozone layer.
In 2021, Panasonic launched their new nanoe-X technology which is said to be highly effective against the spread of coronavirus. As a result, Panasonic is now one of the most sought-after brands in the market today.
- Website: https://www.panasonic.com/global/home.html
- Recommended Product: Panasonic Eolia J Series CS-360DJ2-W
Toshiba Corporation is a huge Japanese multinational conglomerate based in Minato, Tokyo. It is one of the oldest companies in Japan, founded in 1875, and has a long and rich history of original and innovative designs. For instance, the first split system air conditioner was created by Toshiba.
They are the leaders in the affordable, mid-range air conditioning market. However, they do not compromise on the quality and durability of their products. Customers often praise their build quality and ease of use.
Toshiba air conditioners boast of high quality, high durability, and top-notch functionality in addition to being affordable and easy to use. Toshiba air conditioners have their own unique features such as:
- Firstly, their Aqua Resin Coated Magic Coil helps extend your air conditioner’s life by preventing dirt, oil, or moisture accumulation on the coil.
- Secondly, their Self Cleaning feature allows the air conditioner to run on fan mode for a few minutes after shutting down to prevent dust and dirt buildup on the unit. As a result, it guarantees the elimination of odor and mold and only gives out fresh air.
- Thirdly, the special incline on the fan blades reduces its operational sound to nearly 22 dB, making it almost silent.
- Fourthly, and most importantly, their special IAQ filter technology prevents the reproductive capacity of harmful bacteria and viruses. Only clean, healthy, and fresh air for you.
Toshiba holds the top spot in the mid-range air conditioner niche with its affordable pricing, durable build quality, safety features, and sleek, modern design.
- Website: https://www.toshiba-carrier.co.jp/global/products/residential/
- Recommended Product: TOSHIBA 2021 Range 1.8 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split System AC
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, established in 1921, is a Japanese multinational electronics and electrical equipment manufacturing company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. It is also one of the core companies of the behemoth Mitsubishi Group. The Mitsubishi brand is synonymous with the highest quality and reliability.
Air conditioners made by Mitsubishi go through stringent testing to ensure that only the best of the best products reach the customers. Firstly, there are strict quality control measures during all stages of production. Secondly, they test every air conditioning unit at their factory for 20 minutes before packaging. This test data is carefully analyzed and any problems are quickly rectified. Most importantly, the company actively introduces creative designs from its engineers so that their products stay at the top.
It is because the company coordinates production with ideas from their engineers and designers that Mitsubishi holds a large market share in the air conditioning industry. You can expect Mitsubishi air conditioners to come with a few unique features like
- Quick restart after a power surge
- Automatic control system based on fuzzy logic
- Silent operation
- Infrared sensors that monitor your body temperature and regulate cooling automatically
- Superior airflow control with their unique W flaps
- Self-cleaning filters which provide clean and fresh air at all times
It then comes as no surprise that customers of this brand are intensely loyal and swear by its efficient cooling and low maintenance durability.
- Website: https://www.mitsubishielectric.com/en/products-solutions/index.html#air-conditioning-systems
- Recommended Product: Mitsubishi MSZ-R2220-W Air Conditioner Kirigamine Oi
Among the most important inventions in the past century, air conditioners rank near the top. Over the years, the need for air conditioners has only increased. They were originally used in industrial applications but slowly made their way into homes.
All the brands mentioned above are reliable Japanese brands. The air conditioners from these brands are popular not just in Japan but also outside. Which brand to choose from really depends on your budget and requirement. But if you are looking for Japanese technology and innovation, all these brands work well.
Can’t get enough of the Japanese innovation? You might want to read about some cool Japanese hi-tech gadgets, too.